Grants for Literary Arts Promotion: Operating Grants
The Canada Council for the Arts is committed to equity and inclusion, and welcomes applications from diverse Aboriginal, cultural and regional communities, including people with disabilities.
15 September 2012 (annual and multi-year funding)
The next deadline for multi-year funding will be 15 September 2015.
If this date falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline moves to the next business day.
Please refer to the program guidelines for detailed information.
The Grants for Literary Arts Promotion program provides support to Canadian non-profit arts organizations that increase public awareness of and access to Canadian literature.
The Operating Grants component of the program provides annual and
multi-year funding to established literary organizations that play a major role in fulfilling the program objectives. Annual grants cover a 12-month period, and multi-year grants cover a 36-month period.
The objectives of this program are to:
Note that meeting the eligibility criteria does not guarantee that you will receive a grant.
If you are applying to this program component for the first time, you must discuss your organization’s eligibility with the appropriate Program Officer before submitting an application.
To be eligible to apply, your organization must:
- be a Canadian professional organization with a primary mandate in Canadian literary arts promotion
- be an incorporated and non-profit organization
- have a stable, administrative structure that is sufficient to ensure the success of the promotional activities, with a minimum of one paid staff member
- have been in operation for a minimum of five consecutive years
- have an annual program of literary activities in which most of the participating Canadian writers, literary translators, storytellers, literary performance artists or publishers are recognized as professionals, OR
- host a major annual event - such as a literary festival or a salon du livre - in which a majority of the Canadian writers, literary translators, storytellers and literary performance artists presented are recognized as professionals
- pay artists’ fees
- have a variety of revenue sources
- generate annual revenues of more than $75,000, including government support, as shown in your organization’s most recent financial statements
- have already received a minimum of three consecutive and recent Canada Council grants for literary arts promotion activities (the funding received must have been for your core activities and have been at least $20,000 in the previous year)
- have already received an annual operating grant from this program (for multi-year operating grant applicants only)
- be able to submit the required financial statements or a review engagement report for the last fiscal year (as detailed on page 4 of the application form).
There is no maximum amount that may be requested from the operating grants component of the program. However, the grant amount can be a maximum of 50% of your organization’s total revenues.
CADAC Financial Reporting
The Canada Council for the Arts collects financial and statistical information through a national online database called CADAC (Canadian Arts Data / Données sur les arts au Canada). The CADAC website www.thecadac.ca enables arts organizations applying for operating funding from public funders that are partners in CADAC to submit their financial and statistical information in the same format.
Writing and Publishing Section
Canada Council for the Arts
350 Albert Street, P.O. Box 1047
Ottawa ON K1P 5V8
1-800-263-5588 (toll-free) or 613-566-4414, ext. 5574