Support to Theatre Service Organizations
- 1 March (for project grant and operating grant applications for national theatre service organizations)
- 15 September (for project grant applications)
If one of these dates falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline moves to the next business day.
Please refer to the Program Guidelines for detailed information.
This program assists non-profit, Canadian service organizations whose primary focus is to develop the vitality of the professional theatre community. The activities of these service organizations, groups or associations provide assistance to their members which are directly involved in the creation, production and presentation of professional theatre.
The program has two components: Annual Operating Grants and Project Grants.
Annual Operating Grants
This support is intended for national theatre associations or organizations that provide information, resources, advice and advocacy to the professional theatre milieu. The objectives of this component are:
- to support non-profit organizations performing a vital service to professional theatre organizations
- to contribute to national networks of theatre organizations
- to increase the services available to the theatre community, such as professional development, communication, advocacy and general services.
This support offers one-time assistance to associations, organizations and groupings of companies and presenters within the Canadian professional theatre community. It assists them to launch a new service or develop infrastructure in the areas of creation, production or presentation. The objectives of this component are:
- to develop or strengthen organizations that provide a new service in the areas of creation, production or presentation
- to encourage new initiatives to develop services for the community through infrastructure and events
- to encourage initiatives of benefit to many artists, companies, presenters or organizations.
This program is open to Aboriginal arts organizations and arts organizations of diverse cultural and regional communities of Canada.
Canadian non-profit groups, associations or organizations can apply for these grants. This Canada Council for the Arts program is accessible to Aboriginal arts organizations and arts organizations of diverse cultural and regional communities of Canada.
Eligibility criteria specific to each component are described below.
Annual Operating Grants
An eligible organization must:
- be a Canadian, non-profit incorporated organization, group or association (the majority of the board of directors must be Canadian artists or representatives of Canadian arts organizations)
- have the mandate to represent, at the national level, professional artists and/or artistic organizations from an artistic discipline; language-based service organizations (English, French) must indicate their willingness to contribute to national networks of service organizations in the same specialization
- be the main representative organization of their artistic discipline or broad specialization, as demonstrated by a broad membership, and make efforts to be inclusive/representative of Aboriginal, regional and culturally diverse communities and contribute to the Canada Council’s strategic priorities
- make a significant contribution to serving the needs of Canadian artists and/or arts organizations engaged in the creation, production and dissemination of artworks. This will be illustrated by their action plan, track record and contribution to the community they serve through a range of activities encompassing research and analysis, communication and marketing, and professional development
- have been in operation for at least two years, demonstrate sound financial management and have self-generated revenues that include other sources of funding and significant membership dues.
Eligible organizations, associations, regional or sector groupings must be incorporated as Canadian non-profit organizations or work under the umbrella of an incorporated non-profit organization. They must not be currently receiving operating support from the Canada Council.
Annual Operating Grants contribute towards general operating costs. Project Grants cover a maximum of 50 percent of project expenses.
Robert Allen, Nancy Guertin and Bruce Sinclair
Canada Council for the Arts
350 Albert Street, P.O. Box 1047
Ottawa ON K1P 5V8
Telephone: 1-800-263-5588 (toll-free) or 613-566-4414, ext. 4485 (Linda Nickolson, Program Assistant)