Music: Project Grants to Professional Orchestras
The Canada Council for the Arts is committed to equity and inclusion, and welcomes applications from diverse Aboriginal, cultural and regional communities, including people with disabilities.
If this date falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline moves to the next business day.
Please refer to the Program Guidelines for detailed information.
This program supports the activities of Canadian professional orchestras in their community by contributing financial assistance through Project Grants or Operating Grants.
Project Grants assist with selected costs associated with a particular orchestral activity or event taking place in a defined and concentrated period of time, with a particular interest for initiatives involving Canadian creation, development of young audiences and outreach/dissemination.
Operating Grants provide ongoing support to the overall activities and organizational structure of orchestras on a multi-year or annual basis.
Note: The Operating component of this program has its own guidelines and application form, which are available on the Canada Council’s website.
To be eligible to apply for project funding, your organization must meet all of the following requirements. It must:
- be a professional, non-profit Canadian orchestra
- have a board of directors in place at the time of application
- have completed at least two full years of professional activities
- have a consistent core or membership of musicians and a demonstrated record of regular ongoing local concert activities (such as series of programs, subscription concerts)
- receive support from other levels of government, the public or the private sector
- engage professional artistic and administrative personnel
- demonstrate a strong commitment to Canadian creation/repertoire as part of its ongoing annual programming.
Grants will be awarded based on a competitive process. A peer assessment committee will recommend funding priorities and establish the amount of the Canada Council’s contribution to the proposed activities of successful applicants.
Canada Council for the Arts
350 Albert Street, P. O. Box 1047
Ottawa ON K1P 5V8
1-800-263-5588 (toll-free) or 613-566-4414, ext. 5248