Creation/Production in Dance: Multi-Year and Annual Funding
The Canada Council for the Arts is committed to equity and inclusion, and welcomes applications from diverse Aboriginal, cultural and regional communities, including people with disabilities.
15 January 2013 (Annual and Multi-Year Funding)
If this date falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline moves to the next business day.
Please refer to the Program Guidelines for detailed information.
The Creation/Production in Dance program provides multi-year and annual funding to professional Canadian non-profit dance companies. The objective of the program is to support the creation, production and revival of significant dance for public presentation.
Purpose of Grant
The grants provided through this program support organizations’ overall activities as opposed to one specific project. These grants help cover the cost of professional dance companies’ regular, ongoing activities, such as research and creation of new work, remounts, purchase of repertoire and performance-related activities. They also contribute to the cost of outreach and audience development, as well as the administrative support required to sustain these activities.
Applicants (companies) to the Creation/Production in Dance program must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible. They must:
- be incorporated as a non-profit organization
- have completed a minimum of five years of sustained activity, including full-evening programs of the company’s work
- be directed by recognized professional artists and engage professional performers and other professional artists; the Canada Council for the Arts defines a professional artist as someone who has specialized training in the field (not necessarily in academic institutions), who is recognized as such by her or his peers, who has a history of public presentation (not necessarily in Canada Council-funded events or venues), and who is committed to devoting more time to artistic activity if financially feasible
- operate on the basis of a season or have a sustained level of activity
- have self-generated revenues and an appropriate company infrastructure
- have received from the Canada Council within the past four years two project grants under the Creation/Production in Dance program or another form of project support for the production of dance works through the Dance Section’s national-level competitions (e.g., a project for a short- or long-term dance production project, funding for an international co-production, funding under the Capacity Building Initiative: Capacity Building Grants for Culturally Diverse Arts Organizations program)
- have received, as a company and not as an individual artist, regular (at least three grants in the past five years) project funding for a sustained volume of activity in provinces/cities that have no operating funding programs, or operating funding from other public-sector funders (provincial or municipal) in provinces/cities that have this type of program in place
- have been assessed in Canada by the Dance Section on at least two occasions for two different full-evening programs in the last four years of sustained activity.
The minimum annual or multi-year grant is $50,000.
Ellen Busby or Louise Gagné
Canada Council for the Arts
350 Albert Street, P. O. Box 1047
Ottawa ON K1P 5V8
1-800-263-5588 (toll-free) or 613-566-4414 , ext. 5506 (Ellen Busby), ext.4511 (Louise Gagné)